The individual working in this position will direct the efforts of the Laser Engineering team under their supervision. They will provide leadership by setting goals, mentoring, mapping out capability enhancements, and overseeing the successful day-to-day activities of this team. This position oversees all process technologies, including laser cutting (Fiber / Femto Systems), Laser Welding (YAG / Fiber Systems) and Laser Marking. The ideal candidate possesses strong technical, managerial, analytical, and communication skills, and a hands-on approach to problem solving.
- Convert company goals to appropriate department goals and tasks and disseminate to appropriate staff.
- Effectively present findings or oral arguments to customers and management when necessary.
- Support Component and Manufacturing Engineering teams as technical liaison for efforts involving laser technologies.
- Collaboratively work with internal (engineering, production, and quality) and external customers to develop processes, instructions, and maintenance plans necessary to support available laser systems.
- Drive the advancement of laser technical competencies.
- Identify and initiate proposals for new technologies within the laser department to advance company goals.
- Troubleshoot problems and define preventative and corrective actions for new and existing laser product lines / systems.
- Document tasks including creation (or delegation) of required procedures, work instructions, process control documents (Control Plan, pFMEA, Setup Sheets, etc…), and other documentation as necessary in conjunction with applicable team members.
- Document verification / validation (IQ/OQ/PQ) activities including creation (or delegation) of required protocols and reports in conjunction with applicable team members.
- Adhere to company procedures / quality standards and ensure compliance to customer specifications and applicable external regulations (ex: OSHA, FDA).
- This position has approximately 3 to 5 direct reports. The individual in this role will be responsible to develop and improve skill levels and competencies within the department through training and education.
- BS or MS in Engineering
- 5-10 year industry experience minimum with increasing responsibility positions.
- 2-5 years managing technical personnel.
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing processes, specifically:
- Laser Processing Technologies (cutting, welding, and marking)
- Ultra-Short Pulse Lasers
- Laser System Integration
- Finishing Processes For NiTi Components (mechanical and chemical)
- Material Characterization and Testing (fatigue, failure analysis, corrosion, etc.)
- CAD / CAM experience. Preferably using SolidWorks, Cagila, and Cimcad.
- General Metallurgy knowledge and/or knowledge of NiTi properties and how processing changes these properties.
- Experience working in ISO-9001/13485 or similar environment.
- Experience driving verification and validation (IQ/OQ/PQ) requirements for process equipment.
- Effective written and verbal communication skills.