Department of Surgery
Monday to Friday 9-5
MANDATORY BILINGUAL CANTONESE/MADARIN
Summary: Reporting to the Practice Administrator for Surgery, this position provides supervisory and administrative support for the Surgical Sections/Divisions within the Department of Surgery practices. The Practice Specialist will assist in overseeing the day-to-day administrative and financial operations. Along with administrative operational duties, under the direction of the Practice Administrator, the Practice Specialist will assist with outreach efforts, coordinating initiatives for programs and divisions within the Department of Surgery.
- Manages and monitors supervisory work queues and patient registration, including insurance eligibility verification and resolution for all appointments scheduled; monitors, obtains and follows up on all required insurance referrals for patients scheduled.
- Enters radiology authorizations and schedules patients for procedures as needed.
- Works and manages entries and assists in making appropriate appointments for Surgery providers.
- When needed, completes precertification and coverage determinations for surgical procedures performed by physician; completes booking sheets and inputs cases or faxes to scheduling for booking
- With direction from the Practice Administrator, implements policies, procedures and best practices.
- Exercises discretionary judgment in the assessment, development and implementation of best practices to ensure optimum office efficiency and patient care
- Helps develop processes for materials management and inventory control:
manages 'the ordering of medical and consumable supplies.
- Submits purchase orders and requisitions, creates check and payment requisitions as needed
- In collaboration~ assists in advocacy efforts and marketing initiatives
- Assists with outreach and distribution of information such as brochures, electronic resources and educational materials.
- Acts as liaison to biomedical and pharmaceutical vendors, public affairs, institution departments, and referring providers
- As assigned by,the Practice Administrator, ,assists in supervising the day-to-day activities of the administrative/clinical staff; organizes, prioritizes, and distributes work, including, but not limited to patient entry, patient message archiving and responses, record keeping, and resolution; coordinates staff schedules to maintain administrative coverage during lunch hours, vacations, and staff absences
- Assists staff in answering and screening phone calls; maintenance of
administrative and clinical calendars when needed; manages inventory of
office and clinical supplies, and orders/replenishes as needed.
- Utilizes system for scheduling patients and performs patient care activities when needed; scans appropriate documentation in to patient files; answers and carefully screens telephone calls to determine patient needs; greet patients, obtain and electronically verify demographic and insurance information and input accurately into system: schedule appointments laboratory tests, hospital admissions and surgery: prepares any necessary correspondence
- Facilitates the training of new employees and reviews office policies and procedures with support staff: assists in arranging any necessary in-services for staff: performs time-sheet verification and reconciliation in conjunction with Practice Administrator
- Oversees senior patient care coordinators responsibilities, ensuring efficiency and accuracy of work; Assists in managing and organizing patient flow.
- Ensures protocol for meaningful use measures are followed consistently and accurately
- Proficiency in Microsoft Suite
- Three years experience in an academic medical center
- High School Diploma
- Prior knowledge of Epic Scheduling and Billing