Summary: Responsible for conducting assessments and evaluations of adolescent and adult clients, in residential and outpatient programs, and prescribing or recommending medication or other forms of treatment as clinically indicated.
- Current Nurse Practitioner licensure (Virginia preferred)
- Board certification as a PMHNP (Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner)
- ANCC certification as a Psychiatric Mental Health Nurse Practitioner preferred
- Minimum experience: one year providing high-quality health care to a diverse patient population, preferably within a community health center environment.
- Strong computer skills, to include electronic health records.
- Provide psychiatric assessment/evaluations, and develop evaluation reports.
- Request any necessary laboratory studies on clients as determined by results of screening or assessment.
- Provide group therapy/medication management to clients taking psychiatric medications.
- Be available (accessible) for consultation by telephone with staff regarding psychiatric condition of clients.
- Discuss case with psychiatrist and other health professionals to prepare comprehensive client care plan.
- Submits health care plan and goals of individual clients for periodic review and evaluation by physician.
- Prescribes or recommends medications or other forms of treatment such as physical therapy, inhalation therapy, or related therapeutic procedures.
- May refer clients to physician for consultation or to specialized health resources for treatment.
- Handles crisis intervention and counseling.
- Strong interest in caring for a diverse patient population in a community-based organization.
- Knowledge of theoretical and pharmacologic issues related to clinical treatment of common psychiatric disorders.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Occasional physical exertion –may be required to lift 20 or more pounds, walking, standing, etc. through course of the job. The work environment is that of a substance abuse treatment milieu which may include exposure to clients infected with Hepatitis B, HIV, TB, or other Infectious Diseases.