When you think of office culture during the holidays, you might think of potlucks, parties, and festive group activities. Over the past year, it’s been challenging to celebrate the holidays as we normally would, and so, we have had to get creative! From Zoom Town Halls to virtual happy hours, we have done it all. Now, as offices finally become alive again, so does the ability to experience and enjoy firsthand the culture of your workplace.
Office culture has always been one of the largest factors contributing to boosted employee morale and reduced employee turnover, and it ultimately supports and expresses a company’s ideologies. According to a study by Builtin, about 46% of job seekers cite company culture as very important when choosing to apply to a company. In addition, 47% of active job seekers cite company culture as their driving reason for looking for work elsewhere.
Let’s face it, for many of us a large portion of our time is spent at work; in fact according to a study by Gettysburg college, the average person will spend 90,000 hours at work over the course of their lifetime. This is why it is so vital to believe in and support the mantras, values, and culture of the company that you choose to work for.
At TBG, we have a unique culture that is not easily replicated. Our six mantras: Teamwork, Effort, Fairness, Attitude, Loyalty, and Comradery not only represent TBG’s core values and foundation for our culture but also the ways in which we interact and work with each other. At TBG, we value our employees and try to cultivate our culture through exciting initiatives that you can implement at your workplaces as well, such as:
- Virtual Yoga: Get in shape with your colleagues by hosting virtual Yoga sessions! TBG’s virtual Yoga sessions are also accessible to all clients, candidates, and friends of TBG.
- Newsletters: A monthly newsletter can help you to keep your employees up to date with everything going on in the company by introducing new hires that have joined the team, reminding employees of important upcoming events, and highlighting fun and special moments from the past month.
- Company-Wide Email Alerts for Promotions and Special Achievements: By celebrating and highlighting these achievements, every employee has the opportunity to get a shout out and feel like an integral part of the team!
- Donation Drives: Charity drives can be a great way to practice teamwork companywide. Setting internal goals for these drives motivates employees, and the more the team is able to collect companywide, the more they will be able to help the less fortunate.
- Companywide Competitions: Nothing brings a team closer together than some friendly competition!
- New Hire Buddy Program: Establishing a Buddy Program for new hires will provide hires with information they may not be able to find in an employee manual, such as cultural norms in the office, how to navigate their new environment, and who relevant Managers are.
- Summer Fridays: An alternate Summer schedule can be a great way to boost employee morale! In order to promote a healthy work-life balance, TBG implements Summer Fridays, where employees are able to end their workdays at 3PM, as opposed to our usual 5PM, on Fridays during the Summer!
These initiatives are just some examples of ways you can make working at your organization fun, rewarding, and unique!
Casandra Valencia, HR Coordinator